Community Based Mentoring*
It’s all about one-on-one time spent together doing things in the community that both the Mentor and Youth enjoy. They meet 2-3 times per month to do activities such as shooting hoops, playing a board game, sharing a pizza, taking a walk in the park, etc. The schedule can be flexible to meet the needs of the Mentors and their Youths. This program serves children ages 5-18 and Mentors must be at least 18 years old. These matches are supported monthly by a staff member.
Site Based Programs*
Site based mentoring is not a classroom program. It’s not about tutoring – it’s about being a friend. Similar to our Community Based Program, it is based on the proven results of one-on-one mentoring. Site-Based Mentoring takes place at a site on a consistent basis. Many Site Based matches have the potential to become Community Based matches.
After School Buddies Program
During after school hours, a staff member coordinates and supervises a school-based program that pairs elementary students (Youths) with high school students (Mentors) throughout the school year. Weekly this program provides homework assistance, games, snacks, and important social time at schools located in Mercer, Auglaize, & Van Wert Counties.
- St. Marys Intermediate – Serves grades 3-5, meets on Tuesdays
- Celina Elementary – Serves grades 3-4, meets on Wednesdays
- Van Wert Elementary – Serves grades 2-5, meets on Thursdays
During lunch/recess periods, a staff member pairs an adult Mentor from the community with a child (Youth). This on-site program meets at least twice per month during the school year. The matches eat lunch together, do educational enrichment activities, and have one-on-one time to develop a friendship.
- Celina Lunch Club – Held at Celina Primary School. Serves grades 1-2.
- Wapakoneta Lunch Club – Held at Wapakoneta Middle School. Serves grades 5-7.
- Parkway Lunch Club – Held at Parkway Elementary and Middle School. Serves grades 1-6.
- Ft. Recovery Lunch Club – Held at Ft. Recovery Elementary School. Serves grades K-5.
- Van Wert Lunch Club – Held at Van Wert Middle School. Serves grades 6-8.
- Delphos Lunch Club -Held at Delphos Middle School. Serves grades 6-8.
- St. Marys Lunch Club – Held at St. Marys Primary School. Serves grades 1-2.
- Coldwater Lunch Club – Held at Coldwater Elementary and Middle School. Serves grades 1-6.
- St. Henry Lunch Club- Held at St. Henry Elementary. Serves grade K-4
From November through May, students (Youths) from a group home are matched with adults (Mentors) from the community. The group meets twice a month for supper and activities. The Mentors also see their Youths once a month on a day of their choosing in the child’s group home.
- Van Wert Supper Club – Held at The Marsh Foundation in Van Wert. Serves ages 8-18.